Nobody wants to see a newborn baby get hurt. Regardless of how careful and watchful you are, there is always room to take extra precautions to help keep your baby from getting injured.
Listed are 10 helpful tips to keep your baby safe:
1. Don’t leave your baby alone with any pet, regardless of how harmless or small the animal may be.
2. Always keep an eye on your baby when you are out and about, going for a walk, shopping, or even at the playground. Kidnappers see strollers as a target from which to steal your baby.
3. Do not shake your baby. Never even playfully throw the baby up in the air.
4. If you are giving your baby a bath in a large tub, be sure to put a rubber mat or a towel at the bottom of the tub to keep them from slipping.
5. Avoid any clothes, toys, or household objects that have strings on them, and keeping phone cords out of reach. Babies have a tendency to put them wrapped around their neck and accidentally choke.
6. Always place your baby in a car seat when driving. It is extremely easy for your baby to get hurt if you get into an accident, so be sure to pay attention to the road. Avoid eating, talking on a cell phone, or any other activity that could distract you from your driving.
7. Keep your baby away in the open if you aren’t around to watch. It’s wise, in fact, to keep your baby from all open windows – ever.
8. Do not leave your baby alone in a room with a child under the age of six. Children in this age range seem to play roughly with babies – almost as if they were dolls.
9. If a baby sitter watches over your baby, make sure that they have been trained in infant CPR and safety, are at least 16 years or older, and have solid references.
10. If you are changing your baby’s diaper on a changing table, it is vital to never turn your back — even for a split second. In a heartbeat, babies can roll over and accidentally fall off the table.
Nothing matters more than your baby’s safety. Never take it for granted. Always be vigilant in looking after your baby’s wellbeing.
Filed under: Post-pregnancy